Four Georgia properties added to the National Register of Historic Places
The Georgia Department of Community Affairs (DCA) Historic Preservation Division (HPD), which is responsible for preserving Georgia’s legacy, announced that four properties were added to the National Register of Historic Places. The National Register formally recognizes a site’s architectural, historic or archeological significance. These properties are now eligible for grants, tax incentives and other state or federal assistance:
- Curry-Miller-Byrd Cottage, Chatham County: This Tybee Island boarding house dates from the early 20th
- Springfield Historic District, Effingham County: Located within the city’s original 1921 street plan, the district has architectural styles from the late 19th
- Methodist Cemetery, Fulton County: One of the oldest intact cemeteries in Roswell resides on property that was once part of the Cherokee Nation.
- Silvertown Historic District, Upson County: Developed in the 1920s as part of the B.F. Goodrich Tire and Rubber Co.’s Martha Mills, the district encompasses 407 acres of recreational, commercial, industrial and residential resources.
Savannah’s Chatham County offers many historic sites that attract tourists, but the county also has a diverse economy that’s helped it successfully cope with the COVID-19 pandemic. Find out more in this month’s feature, “Unexpected Bright Spots.”
Photo of the Curry-Miller-Byrd Cottage provided by DCA.