Best flavors of Georgia chosen
The University of Georgia’s Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development recently announced the winners of its annual Flavor of Georgia Contest, which provides state food businesses with a chance to showcase their products. A team of grocery buyers and food industry experts rated more than 125 products on criteria including flavor, market potential, innovation and use of the Georgia theme. This year’s grand prize winner is Goodson Pecans of Leesburg for its Honey Cinnamon Pecan Butter.
Goodson Pecans was one of 33 finalist products representing the best of the best in Georgia-made foods. Winners of individual categories were:
- Finalists’ Choice Award and Honey Category: Creamed Honey from L. Franklin’s Healthy Honey, Statesboro
- Barbecue Sauces: Sorta White BBQ Sauce from Lane’s BBQ, Bethlehem
- Beverages: Blueberry Citrus Tea from Olympus Greek Mountain Teas, Lawrenceville
- Confections: Brown Butter Crunch Gelato from Honeysuckle Gelato, Atlanta
- Dairy Products: New World Chocolate Milk from Rock House Creamery, Newborn
- Jams and Jellies: Wild Elderberry Pepper Jelly from Fairywood Thicket Farm, Fairburn
- Meat and Seafood: Applewood Smoked Bacon from Pine Street Market, Avondale Estates
- Condiments and Salsas: Sourwood Balsamic Vinegar from Built by Bees, Atlanta
- Sauces and Seasonings: Cajeta from Bootleg Farm, Springfield
- Snack Foods: Sugar and Spice Cashews from High Cotton Co., Sandy Springs
The Flavor of Georgia Contest has helped entrepreneurs spread the word about their products, many of which have been placed in regional and national grocery chains. Category winners receive an award, membership in the Department of Agriculture’s Georgia Grown program and bragging rights.
Photo, from left: UGA College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences Dean and Director Sam Pardue; Georgia Agriculture Commissioner Gary Black; Drew, Melody and David Goodson of grand prize winner Goodson Pecans; and Gov. Nathan Deal.
Photo provided by UGA Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development.